Members

Thomas Tay - Mohd Fadzry - Joonas Viitala - James Ng - Edwin Ng - Alissa Huang

Welcome!

Understanding Singapore's pioneers and their importance to the development of early Singapore

Remember to click on our blog comments to check out what our readers have to say!

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Chinese-Canadian-Singaporean?

Walking through many historical landscapes of Singapore and immersing myself in the history, culture and different religious groups of this unique island, many questions in regards to my own “Chinese” identity popped up in my head. Born and raised until five years old in the heart and soul of China- Beijing, I’ve always been proud of my Chinese heritage, values, and cultural background. However, currently on exchange, every time I leave Singapore, I am also just as proud to put “Canadian” as my nationality. When I think of home, I think of Toronto. However, my values, heritage, and cultural background are still deeply rooted in China.
Sometimes, I feel that I don’t belong to a specific group. However, I always find happiness in learning that there are many different angels of what it meant to be “Chinese”. I think I am very different than those who have lived in China their whole lives, but are also than an average North American. I have Chinese values of modesty and is a very family-oriented person. However, on the other hand, I love to be in front of a crowd, or work with different people and take risks in both my professional and personal life. I owe a big thanks to my parents for giving me the best of both worlds.
I
I think when I start full-time work, I will notice the skills of my “Chinese-ness” more than ever before. Many Chinese business leaders we have learned in class knew how to leverage this skill during negotiations with local and over-sea consumers. This class has deepened my interest in this area and have taught me that with a globalized world, the ability to work with different cultures is one of the most important human capital distinctions an employee can have.

No comments:

Post a Comment